Munk One (US)

Munk One (US)

From Soundgarden to Eminem, Pearl Jam to Blink 182, local bands to worldwide brands, Munk One's work can be seen a little bit everywhere, the only thing you have to keep in mind when you are looking for it, is that....everything can happen, a tiger driving a car or musician deer are just few examples....

Hello, of course as every Crewk interview, first question: what are we listening to when we come to visit you?

Whatever movie I'm playing in the background at the moment.

    Can you tell us more about yourself, who are you, where are you from, what do you do?
    When did you start drawing?

Born and raised in CA. A Creative Professional. An Artist. I work in Illustration, Fine Art, Prints and Merchandise Design. I started drawing as a kid in school for fun. I like sushi and a cold beer.

    Did you follow any course or did you improve by drawing in the margins of your schoolbooks?

I took some great art classes at a junior college. I also learned from other artists. Much of it through practice and experimentation, books, the internet and on the job.

    Today are you living from your art, or do you do something else for a living ?

I live off of my Artwork.

    Are you collaborating with magazines/fanzines, regularly?

Yes, I am currently the monthly illustrator for Juxtapoz Magazine. Check it out.

    Where does your influence come from? Is there any artists/graphists you particularly like, what are your influences?

My influence comes from the joy of creating and the excitement of the unknown and unexpected. Anything or anyone can influence me if the time is right.

    What are the principal steps in your work ?


Research, conception, development, refinement, final execution and promotion.

    Do you do everything by hand or on computer?

Both, I continually vary my methods.


    You have a very distinctive style, are you doing only what you feel like or if tomorrow somebody asks you an oil painting with horses running out of water with a sunset backdrop, is it a problem or are you up for it ?

I am lucky enough to be in the position where I can accept projects that I enjoy. I might paint a one eyed sparkly unicorn if I feel like it.

    For which band have you already worked for?

On posters I've created art for Bad Religion, Eddie Vedder, Pearl Jam, City and Colour, Soundgarden, Angels and Airwaves, Blink-182 , Chris Cornell and more. On art for merchandise and album art I've done way more.

    For which band would you love to work?

Childish Gambino, Fun, M.I.A., The Black Keys, Vampire Weekend, Jay-Z.


    Do you choose the artists yourself?

Occasionally, if I am really into the band I will contact them.

    What is the most difficult part in designing a poster?

Coming up with a strong concept. If it makes me smile I know its on its way.

   A bit of self-promotion, take advantage of it, it's free, where can we see your work, on the web or in real life?



Thanks for the interview!

Aucun commentaire: